Understanding the requirements for cars and owners

Article updated on 01/31/2023

To be accepted on Getaround, your vehicle must :

  • be a privately owned vehicle (i.e. ‘normal’ cars : these cars have “VP” in field J.1 (type) of the Carte Grise (vehicle registration certificate)) or a utility vehicle with a PTAC of under 3.5 tonnes (these vehicles have “CTTE” in field J.1 (type) of the Carte Grise (vehicle registration document) and < 3500 in field F.2 (weight)), and of less than 13m3. Other types of vehicle are not insured: buses, caravans, motorbikes, quad bikes, no-license cars, driving school cars… You can't rent your vehicle on Getaround to tract a trailer either. You wouldn't be covered by our insurance.

  • in Belgium, not be a collection car (with a plate number in "O")

  • have its final registration. In Spain, if the car is dedicated to rentals the registration must indicate that it's registered for "Public service: use without driver" (via the relevant authority: Tráfico). If you change your car registration to this, the car must pass a new routine inspection.

  • be parked in their registration country

  • be be covered by an yearly insurance policy, at least third-party liability insurance.

  • have a routine inspection and maintenance certificates up to date during the rental.

  • be under 200.000 kms (130.000 miles in the UK) in mileage

  • be under 15 years old at the time of listing (12 years in the UK)

Additionally, we recommend you check with your insurer that you're allowed to rent your car, according to your insurance contract.

Modified cars are not accepted on the platform. Non-disclosure of a modification could invalidate insurance

Besides, you have to be the owner of the vehicle (ie your name (natural or legal person) is on the registration certificate).

  • If your car is in leasing, it usually depends on the type of financing contract (PCP, Hire Purchase, Contract hire, Personal Loan,…) and the financing or leasing company. Some allow it, some don’t. You should have the answer in your documents, and you can always contact your financing/leasing company directly if still in doubt.
  • If you want to rent a relative's car on Getaround, you need to have a written authorization signed by the owner allowing you to rent the vehicle on Getaround.

If these conditions are not respected, you will not be covered by our insurance, and any damage will be at your expense.

NB : Vehicles with significant engine horsepower (Ferrari, Porsche, ...) or high value are not allowed on the platform due to their excessive insurance risk.

For cars registered in France

  • Tinted windows : If your vehicle has tinted windows at the front, you have to make sure the opacity is inferior to 30%, or you could not be covered by our insurance, and couldn't rent your vehicle on Getaround. In case of doubt, you can go to a specialist to measure the window opacity.

My car is scratched. Can I rent it out anyway ?

You have to provide to your drivers a vehicle safe, and clean. If your vehicle presents small scratches or small damages in the interior that don't compromise the vehicle safety, you can rent it on Getaround.

However, there is no leeway when it comes to safety (brakes, tires, lights, seatbelts, etc.) and equipments of your car (ex : no window which do not open correctly, no scotch tape on wing mirrors). If in doubt, read our safety checklist.

No leeway either of the cleanliness of your car : make sure your car is clean (inside and outside) when you give it to a driver.

What are the car quality standards on Getaround?

Here's a list of all the standards you should meet when renting your car. These are here to prevent any trouble, for you, or the driver:

  1. Your calendar needs to be always up to date, so that drivers have as much information as possible. You will find more information on how to keep your calendar up to date here.
  2. You shouldn’t cancel rentals, unless it's a force majeure case. However, if you do need to cancel a rental, you will find our cancellation policy here.
  3. You should be honest in your description and use quality pictures to show your car. You can find our tips here.
  4. You should follow our recommended price, to avoid pricing your car too high or too low (more information here).
  5. You should rent a safe, clean car. The driver is also responsible for giving back a car as clean as the one they got.
  6. Your car should be well maintained. You can find our tips on car maintenance here.
  7. You need to give the car with at least one quarter of the fuel tank. This also means that the driver should give the car back with as much fuel as when they started their trip.

Can I list several cars?

Of course! There is no limit on the number of vehicles you can list. Start by listing one or two vehicles to get used to how the website works, then add more gradually when you feel comfortable.

Was this article helpful?